First Day High

by - Thursday, June 14, 2012


Just arrived few hours ago from school, and for some weird reasons I feel like writing. I'm having a lot of positive energy. Uhuh, it's some first day high madness and it's kinda cool.

I'm in the middle of organizing my schedule and my classes.

Finally, I'm on my third year in medical school. Can you imagine that?

I remembered the days when I was trying to figure out what medical school was all about as I watched the first year students gather in the cafeteria. I couldn't believe that I made it through. I mean with everything that has happened to me, I'm just lucky to have reached this far. My older brother and my grandmother died the summer before I entered medical school so the common scenario back then was hospital, funeral and cemetery. It was depressing.

Unlike others who were preparing themselves for med school, I on the other hand had to be physically and emotionally equipped to survive the academical load. Pity. If only things turned out differently, I would have motivated myself to excel in my subjects. But, alas God had other plans for me. I found my compassion however that summer. I realized that those sad and painful experiences happened for me to develop the gift of empathy, which I know would be important for my medical career.

It is not however late, and I pray that I can still turn this around. I found earlier this year that I can still enter UP College of Medicine as a senior intern. As usual, grades are such bearing. I will really do my best to pull my grades up this year and give up no matter what for it. I only pray that my grades from the first to the second year won't hinder me from my goal. I never meant to be affected by two deaths but then again, that just makes me human. So I have my fingers crossed and my prayers up high.

My schedule for this semester is this:

Definition of terminologies
  • Preceptorial- A term used in the college of medicine of UERM wherein it states that we get to discuss a case with a consultant.
  • Consultant- A medical doctor who has already finished his/her residency and fellowship (one of the senior physicians with great experience.)
  • Ward work- A certain time of the day allotted to interview the patient assigned for the week in order to obtain the complete history and physical examination
  • ISP- Independent study period

I'm really excited this school year. One is because finally I am already in the clinical sciences. The basic sciences for medicine was quite boring, although those were important foundation to begin with. Two, for some weird reasons, I feel so refreshed.

I'm just so glad that I enjoyed my summer break. My batteries for school were recharged and I feel the rush of wanting to study and to learn. Yes, to learn.

I guess the lost of my ipad, laptop and external hard drive at the start of the summer of 2012 were necessary for me not to study at all. Hahaha. Forgive me, but I tend to be a dorky nerd at times for which I am very proud of. :) But that's the thing, this is the first time in a long long time where I just let go and rested.

What wonder of having a good vacation and getting all recharged for the challenges to come. :)

Chances are you'll be seeing more of me in this site, since my plan is to restore the artistic and creative side of me and try to blend it with the scientific and technical side of medicine.

I'm a few of my kind. Believe me.

You May Also Like

0 feedbacks