The Dawn of Social Media

by - Thursday, March 24, 2016


I was born in the late 80's and grew up seeing the advances of the computer as well as the internet. As a child during that era, I was accustomed with MIRC and ICQ, wherein the sound of the dial-up was music to the ears (knowing that you could have internet access soon). What I liked most about this era was that you can meet a variety of people and keep up with friends you meet at soirées, house parties, school, "eyeballing (hahaha)", etc., without the need to go outside the house (especially when you have unreasonable strict parents at 13 years old).

It was a window to meeting new people. I loved the idea of it. I was practically on it for almost everyday and people knew me with the nick (alias) as "^anGe" (emphasis on 1 "G"). Before people starting calling me Anj, I was first known as Ang-ge, spelled as anGe. Well, that's another story.

It was then that I realized that I was a very sociable person. I love parties. I love meeting new friends but sadly I do have a hard time keeping them because I tend to jump from one friendship to the next (I try my hardest tho lately to maintain my old friends).

Then there was multiply (hahaha.. that was epic fail), friendster, myspace, flickr, etc... The one that prevailed was facebook, hence the dawn of the cyber social world.

Social media started as a way to interact with people. There are no set of rules (both written and unwritten etiquettes). You just type whatever is on your mind.

These days, it's different.

You have to be careful with what you post: it may go viral (as most of my concerned friends have warned me, thank you loved ones), what you comment: it may offend someone, what you tweet: it may be broadcasted on air and have your statement attached to your reputation with sentiments of racism, bigotry, conservative, radical depending on the gravity of the 140 characters (haha). There are so many things to watch out for. I was not accustomed with being careful with how I project myself to the world via the internet because I grew up with it. It was my playground growing up... an avenue to be myself and how I keep it real.

But then I started a social experiment, in order to understand this new cyber world. So I held back what I wanted to post and became quiet; not only quiet but observant... I wanted to see how this new face of social media was evolving. I held back my gut feeling to post what I felt at that very moment on facebook (believe me it was hard; twitter was the outlet, HAHA) and just let my news feed rolling. I read the posts of my friends along with the comments of friends of friends.

I was amazed with the results.

Social media was no longer an avenue to meet new people like old days chatting in MIRC. It was a way to keep the old friendships wherever they maybe. People who have the right to comment on other people's posts were close friends who hang out after school or work and use social media to entertain themselves. People feel weird when someone just comments or likes to their posts without a personal (real life, attainable) relationship.

I, too was evolving. I felt that awkwardness when people I don't really know just comments as if they know me.

Then, it hit me.

Social media has become a cyber projection of how you are inside and outside your personal computer. It has become a trademark of yourself both socially and professionally. And the internet is a document proof of that: hello pictures (HAHA).

Baffling as it may sound. This is the new reality.

It's just sad that people can be judgmental with the photos, statuses and posts that you share. With limited time and resources, anything and everything you type can be used against you... not just going viral but with your life outside this tiny screen we call computer. Take Manny Pacquiao for example or those students of UE who got suspended, etc. Netizens, as they now call themselves... tend to be brutal. Bashing you online as if you are a personal target (I have protected myself very much about that by simply ignoring and deleting whatever comments you have; or better yet the function "disable comments" HAHA). 

With the dawn of social media, it's just right to say that if you can't control it, FILTER IT (hahaha.. restricted mode is better. LOL). But take it from me, a veteran in this world we cyberly go through with a click of your finger... "If it's not for GENERAL PATRONAGE, then it shouldn't be on FACEBOOK." There are other social media platforms for rants and the famous "parinig."

Find one.

I found one on blogspot. My haven.

That's right. You found me. Go Ahead. Stalk me.

Enjoy stalkers. :) 

Hope I won't find you on my news feed tonight. But if you ever do, email me. I have tips on surviving public humiliation online when "viral" wasn't even a WORD. hahahhaa. Epic multiply post :) #veteran #oldschool #keepitreal (must I say much?).

You May Also Like

0 feedbacks