Overcoming my Quarter Life Crisis

by - Tuesday, February 16, 2010


What is a quarterlife crisis?
The quarterlife crisis is essentially a period of anxiety, uncertainty and inner turmoil that often accompanies the transition to adulthood. The quarterlife crisis is a term applied to the period of life immediately following the major changes of adolescence, usually ranging from the early twenties to the early thirties. The term is named by analogy with mid-life crisis.


Characteristics of Quarter Life Crisis include the following:
  • Realizing that the pursuits of one's peers are useless
  • Confronting their own mortality
  • Watching time slowly take its toll on their parents, only to realize they are next
  • Insecurity regarding the fact that their actions are meaningless
  • Insecurity regarding present accomplishments
  • Re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
  • Lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy
  • Disappointment with one's job
  • Nostalgia for university, college, high school or elementary school life
  • Tendency to hold stronger opinions
  • Boredom with social interactions
  • Loss of closeness to high school and college friends
  • Financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipatedly high cost of living, etc.)
  • Loneliness, depression and suicide
  • Desire to have children
  • A sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you
  • Frustration with social skills

Overcoming my Quarter Life Crisis wasn't easy.
Just recently I had my very first mental and emotional breakdown, which was very disturbing for others. Although I know people now looks at me at a different light because I honestly did appear crazy, no contest to that; I am happy that I did what I did. It was because of that melt down that I have overcome my quarter life crisis. And trust me, it wasn't easy.


Bouncing Back after Dealing with my Crisis.
For almost a year, I have been trying to understand what went wrong, where I went wrong and how I can deal with this. And it was then that I realized that I have to realign my values and goals in the things that I do. I can no longer approach life with two faces, which is to pretend that I don't like studying to my peers who are trying to act cool and to pretend cool to my classmates who are nerds. I must accept these facts. I am a nerd, actually a GEEK; but when school ends, I party the hardest. I am a cool nerd. I choose both but people around me has to accept those two facts of life about me. It only took one social climber bitch to let me realize that my life is indeed a joke. Yes. It was a joke. I can no longer pretend to be someone I am not. So, after breaking down... I am back and fighting still. But there is a big difference.. I am proud to be me, a cool nerd.


Writing a Mission Statement for my Life.
In order to remember who I am and to resist peer pressure in the future, I have written a mission statement for my life to always make me align to my goals and values. This is the short version of my mission statement:

"My purpose is to express my willingness to learn, to have enthusiasm and passion on what I do and to have a sense of responsibility for my own being by being committed to be the very best that I can be, by finding inspiration and purpose on what I do and by being organized, systematic and flexible to the call of my needs so that I can strive hard to be one of the best in my class, and at the same time to balance work and play in order to build friendship with my family, relatives and friends that would last for a life time. My fuel to propel me to move forward will be inspiration and meaning, which I will constantly find through our Lord, Jesus Christ."

Moving Forward
I am happy at present. I am at peace. Thanks be to God that He has helped me overcome my Quarter Life Crisis. Now that it's over. CHEERS to those who led me to that crisis I had to face. Thank you for hurting me. Thank you for betraying me. Thank you. But life moves on. I will now move forward. Goodbye yesterday. Goodbye to the pain of yesterday. 

You May Also Like

1 feedbacks

  1. Hi self. Writing this to you 6 years after. Hashtag #andrama ☺ buwahahaha

    ReplyDelete